Establishing an effective affiliate program requires careful planning and execution. By following these six key tips, you can ensure that your affiliate program is set up the right way, maximizing its potential for success.
- Invest in a Stable System
- Implement a Pending Period
- Streamline Affiliate Links
- Offer Diverse Email Resources
- Leverage Effective Banners
- Develop Custom Tools
1. Invest in a Stable System
Choosing a reliable affiliate tracking and management system is paramount to the success of your program. Ensure that the system you select is proven and has been used successfully by other affiliate programs.
While platforms like ClickBank offer tracking capabilities, they may lack in affiliate management features. Consider third-party services or scripts to supplement ClickBank’s limitations.
2. Implement a Pending Period
Protect your business from potential refunds by instituting a pending period during which affiliates cannot access their earned commissions. For instance, if your product has a 60-day refund policy, affiliates should only receive their commissions once this period has elapsed.
This precaution prevents affiliates from being paid for sales that are later refunded.
It’s important to note that the refund policies of affiliate programs are subject to change, and it’s recommended to review the specific terms and conditions of each affiliate program on the respective websites.
- Amazon Associates: Amazon’s refund policy is determined by the individual sellers. Affiliates don’t handle customer transactions, and customers need to contact Amazon directly or the third-party seller for any refund or return inquiries.
- ClickBank: ClickBank vendors set their own refund policies. ClickBank itself offers a standard 60-day refund policy for the products and services it sells. Affiliates should check the specific refund policy of each product they promote.
- ShareASale: ShareASale is an affiliate network, and the refund policies depend on the individual merchants or advertisers. Affiliates need to refer to the terms and conditions of each merchant they promote for details on refunds.
- CJ Affiliate (formerly Commission Junction): CJ Affiliate is also an affiliate network, and refund policies are determined by the advertisers. Affiliates should check the terms of service and refund policies of each advertiser they work with.
- Rakuten Advertising: Similar to other affiliate networks, the refund policies for Rakuten Advertising depend on the individual merchants. Affiliates should review the terms and conditions of each merchant to understand their refund policies.
- eBay Partner Network: eBay’s refund policy is based on the policies set by individual sellers. Affiliates are encouraged to direct customers to eBay’s customer service for any refund-related inquiries.
3. Streamline Affiliate Links
Simplify the affiliate process by providing affiliates with ready-to-use links. Some systems require manual insertion of affiliate links into emails, while others allow automatic embedding.
Opt for a system that facilitates seamless integration, saving affiliates time and increasing the likelihood of promotion.
4. Offer Diverse Email Resources
Provide affiliates with a variety of email resources, including different subject lines and body content options. This flexibility allows affiliates to tailor their promotions to suit their audience.
Embedding affiliate links directly into emails streamlines the process further, making it convenient for affiliates to share compelling content.
5. Leverage Effective Banners
Despite mixed opinions about banners, they remain an impactful promotional tool when used correctly. Create banners in standard sizes (160 x 600 pixels, 300 x 250 pixels, or 90 x 728 pixels) with attention-grabbing visuals and concise text.
Focus on enticing clicks rather than selling the product directly. Remember, the website’s role is to convert, while the banner’s goal is to generate clicks.
6. Develop Custom Tools
Any updates made by the product owner reflect automatically on all sites using that code. Learn from other successful affiliate programs, adopting strategies and tools that resonate with your goals.
In summary, investing time and effort into these foundational elements will set the stage for a robust and successful affiliate program. By prioritizing stability, convenience, and versatility, you can attract and retain affiliates who contribute to the growth and profitability of your business.You may also like:
- Six Guidelines for Effective Customer Service System Design
- Gerry McGovern’s Top Ten Rules of Copywriting
- How to Find Great Web Design Agency
- How You Can Learn From Your Competitors’ Website Features
- Top 5 Uncommon Secrets to a Sustainable Business
- Psychological Tricks that Get People to ‘Buy Now’
- Maximizing Views and Traffic – 3 Top Tips for Video Submissions
- Building a Successful Affiliate Program – 4 Essential Tips
- Mobile Marketing – Navigating the Surge in Mobile Device Dominance
- 30 Small Business Ideas for Beginners